September 8, 2016
In which Patrick Lam pretends to be a restaurant reviewer.
- Asian Fusion: Have only been to Bhima's Warung once, I think. Was good.
- Dim Sum: had one (of one) good experience at Sam's Chinese Kitchen on Victoria. We prefer carts, but they're rare in Ontario. Nevertheless, it was good, had as many Asian-looking patrons as one might hope for, and has much less of a line than Cameron (which is fine, but popular. And who wants to wait in line?).
- Pho: at my place; or else at Pho Dau Bo, two locations
- Sushi: Watami in uptown Waterloo is "pretty good"; Kinkaku in downtown Kitchener used to be really good izakaya but got AYCE'd :(; Tomu was quite good but now closed
- Thai: Northern Thai excellent
- Indian: Empress of India; Amaya Express; haven't been to Masala Bay in a long time but it was good.
- BBQ: Hog Tails (out west) / Lancaster Smokehouse
- Caribbean: Rainbow Caribbean Cuisine; plus a place at the Kitchener Market has the best Jamaican patties ever
- Salvadoran: Guanaquita excellent
- Bagels: no endorsement of Woodfire Bagels but it looks promising
- Croissants: Ambrosia---they won a taste test (but opening hours are restricted)
- Brewpub: brought a Toronto friend who likes good food to Abe Erb. He was impressed. I think their menu is wider-ranging now than when I went last.
- Catch-all: Uptown 21 is good but only open for lunch + special events now; The Berlin; Taco Farm used to be really good but I had a so-so experience there recently (unripe avocadoes).