I dropped my phone last Thursday and got it back from the shop yesterday (Wednesday). Some reflections on not having a phone for a week (in the city).
- can’t take pictures of random cats…
- anxiety about getting lost when walking around town to places I don’t walk to often (let alone driving a car);
- have to get my spouse to sign into venues with the NZ COVID tracing app or sign in manually;
- can’t read my phone in bed (supposedly a good thing I guess; didn’t affect me too noticeably);
- don’t know what time it is in the morning when I wake up (obviously after dawn);
- the urge to randomly pull out the phone looking for notifications was super easy to resist for me;
- didn’t feel more or less productive without being able to look things up on second screen while using computer.
This is quite different from using phone-as-GPS-and-clock in the wilderness.